Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Welcome to the Canine Diabetes Wiki
Dedicated to explaining aspects of canine diabetes and its treatment. Learning the "mechanics" of diabetes means your dog CAN lead a normal, active and healthy life with your help.
What's Here:Information about diabetes, how to manage it, information about insulins, and about other conditions which can be related to diabetes. If this is the beginning of your journey with canine diabetes, this is a good place to start:
Statistics and Symptoms
Statistics say 1 in 500 dogs will develop canine diabetes. It stops being a statistic when the dog we're talking about is yours.
Symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus in Dogs
- Drinking more water than usual
- More frequent urination, possible house "accidents"
- Always hungry but maintains or loses weight
- Less active or sleeping more
- Cloudy eyes
- Thinning, dull and dry hair
While it's normally a disease of middle-aged and older dogs, there are some youngsters who are coping with it too.
Whether your dog is a senior or a pup, we welcome you to read and to share your experiences with canine diabetes!
Do You Need To Learn?
Read about them here.
Ad Scam Alert
Read more about these "cures" and how to protect your pet against them starting here.
Duffy and her family want you to know that you can live a normal, happy life with diabetes.
Duffy's book is called Duffy's Dilemma.
Vetsulin Critical Need Program
For patients who can't use other insulins:
- Shortage of Vetsulin in the Critical Need Program and Discontinuation of Program February 4, 2011
- Discontinuation of Program February 7, 2011
- Intervet: Vetsulin Will Return February 11, 2011
- Caninsulin Advisory-HealthCanada
- Caninsulin-Canada-Supplies Not Limited
- Caninsulin-Canada-Letter to Vets
- Vetsulin Technical Discussion
- The video is about 20 minutes long.
FDA Warning Letter to Eli LillyRegarding the instability of Humalog crystals
Reuters News story-February 23, 2010
Pfizer Discontinues Insuvet insulins
Insuvet beef insulins are discontinued.