All Insuvet insulins have been discontinued by Pfizer Animal Health. The insulins were made under contract by Wockhardt UK for both Pfizer and for Schering-Plough Animal Health, who owned the brand name earlier. Wockhardt makes the same insulins under their Hypurin brand name.
- Insuvet Neutral= Hypurin Bovine Neutral 
- Insuvet Lente=Hypurin Bovine Lente 
- Insuvet Protamine Zinc=Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc 
Some UK dogs also use Insuvet, particularly the lente type. Read about Molly,  an Old English Sheepdog, who has diabetes and is also blind. Molly lets neither of these things stop her from living life to the fullest.
Schering-Plough Animal Health contracted Wockhardt UK's CP Pharma to produce its Insuvet insulins,  It's believed that Pfizer continued the association until the discontinuation of all Insuvet insulins.
Comparing Insuvet insulins with Hypurin insulinsEditFor any of you who are using or were interested in the Insuvet insulins, CP Pharma was the actual producer of them  under the Insuvet brand name for Schering-Plough Animal Health. CP makes an identical insulin for humans for each of the Insuvet insulins:
Currently marketed Wockhardt Bovine insulins comparable with Insuvet insulins:
If you are in Canada, your vet may also be able to obtain manufactured beef insulin from the UK for you through Health Canada's Emergency Drug Release program.  With it, you are able to receive up to 6 months worth of insulin; a C$ 50.00 fee for the application is required.  If permitted, you would then be eligible to import PZI insulins such as Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc, as well as other Hypurin bovine or porcine insulins.
The program is similar to Health Canada's Special Access Programme  for importing necessary drugs for people.
Wherever you are, the comparable CP Pharma Hypurin insulins should be able to be imported provided you follow the import rules and guidelines for your country of residence. CP Pharma will be glad to assist you if you contact them through their website link on the CP Pharma page.
Recently the US-FDA has dropped their paperwork requirements regarding the importation of non-US approved drugs for animal patients who need them.  While 100% bovine protamine zinc insulin is available in the US through compounding pharmacies, there is no source of bovine R/Neutral or bovine Lente. It would appear that the relaxed restrictions would make it easier and quicker for a veterinarian to obtain bovine insulins for a diabetic patient.
- ↑ No Further Supplies of Insuvet Insulins. VMD.gov UK.
- ↑ Pfizer insulin products currently unavailable. VetsOnline UK.
- ↑ SPAH Contracts CP/Wockhardt UK for Insuvet Insulins. Wockhardt.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Hypurin Bovine Neutral. Wockhardt UK.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Hypurin Bovine Lente. Wockhardt UK.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc. Wockhardt UK.
- ↑ Insuvet. NOAH Compendium UK.
- ↑ Pfizer Animal Health Adds Former Schering-Plough Products to European Portfolio. Farming UK (2008).
- ↑ Insuvet insulins. NOAH Compendium UK.
- ↑ Molly's Website--Molly uses Insuvet Lente Insulin.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 SPAH Contracts Wockhardt UK for Production of Its Insuvet Insulins. Wockhardt.
- ↑ Hypurin Bovine Neutral. EMC UK.
- ↑ Insuvet Neutral. VMD UK.
- ↑ Hypurin Bovine Lente. EMC UK.
- ↑ Insuvet Lente. VMD UK.
- ↑ Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc. EMC UK.
- ↑ Insuvet Protamine Zinc. VMD UK.
- ↑ Health Canada-Veterinary: Emergency Drug Release Information. HealthCanada.
- ↑ Health Canada-Emergency Drug Release Form. HealthCanada.
- ↑ Health Canada-Special Access Programme. HealthCanada.
- ↑ FDA no longer issuing letters for importation of unapproved animal drugs. JAVMA News (15 October 2009).
All items (4)