|PZI by IDEXX|
|Bovine 90% Porcine 10% |
|Action in dogs:|
|Also known as: formerly Blue Ridge PZI, IDEXX PZI|
|Similar to: other PZI formulations|
|Use and Handling:|
|Shelf Life: 36 months||Type: cloudy|
|When Opened: 28 days room temp.|
|In Pen: N/A|
| Notes: Protect from light and heat|
Do Not Freeze, store at 2-8C, Resuspend
Do not use if product does not re-suspend
Do not use intravenously 
Intramuscular use is not advised
Do not mix Protamine Zinc insulin in the same syringe with R/Neutral insulin
PZI Vet was a 90% beef, 10% pork protamine zinc insulin. .PZI Vet was absolutely identical to the old Eli Lilly Iletin I beef/pork PZI insulin,in everything but the strength. Blue Ridge purchased the patent rights for it from Lilly  Its duration was similar to that of BCP PZI. PZI is rarely used in dogs but is considered when other insulins are not effective. 
Before IDEXX purchased Blue Ridge Pharmaceuticals and re-named the insulin as PZI Vet, this study showing efficacy was done. 
PZI Vet came in U40 strength only. You used U40 syringes or used U100 syringes and a conversion table.
PZI contains more zinc and protamine than NPH/isophane insulin and it is primarily the extra protamine which gives it its long-acting duration. The additional protamine in the suspension  must first be broken down by proteolytic enzymes AKA proteases,  before the insulin in PZI can be absorbed. NPH/isophane insulin contains less protamine than PZI does and because there's less, it is an intermediate-acting insulin.
Usage and handlingEdit
PZI Vet package insert. 
It is not advised to dilute or combine PZI Vet with other insulins.
Refrigerate PZI Vet when not in use. It should not lose effectiveness if accidentally left out as long as not in direct sunlight or heat. However, watch for signs of decreased effectiveness (higher blood glucose levels) just in case.
No Combining For PZI
Protamine Zinc Insulins
|All Long acting|
All non soluble
|Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc|
|Hypurin Vet Protamine Zinc|
(No longer produced.)
|Insuvet Protamine Zinc|
(No longer produced.)
|BCP PZI, VPOA PZI, Summit PZI|
Other pure beef compounded PZIs
|PZI Vet (No longer produced.)|
PZI Vet discontinuedEdit
Boehringer Ingelheim purchased PZIVet from IDEXX November 11, 2008. 
In past here's how it worked: You got PZI Vet from your vet, or with a prescription from your vet, you could order from an online pet pharmacy such as Drfostersmith.com. 
- ↑ Pharmaceutical Index. Animal Help.
- ↑ Insulins. North American Veterinary Conference-Clinicians Brief (2005).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Nelson, Richard (2006). Selecting an Insulin for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus in Dogs 7 Cats-Page 40. OSU Endocrinology Symposium.
- ↑ Ruchinsky, Renee, et. al. (2010). Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats-page 7. American Animal Hospital Association.
- ↑ Scott-Moncrieff, Catherine (2009). Canine and Feline Diabetes Mellitus I-page 4. Western Veterinary Conference.
- ↑ Maddison, Jill E.,Page, Stephen W.,Church, David B. (2008). Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology. Saunders Ltd..
- ↑ PZI Vet. IDEXX Laboratories.
- ↑ Definition of Protamine Zinc Insulin. Merck Manual.
- ↑ Insulins for Cats-PZI Vet.
- ↑ Nelson, Richard. Complications of Insulin Therapy in Diabetic Cats-page 3. Waltham.
- ↑ Nelson, Richard, et. al. (2001). Efficacy of Protamine Zinc Insulin for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus in Cats. Journal-American Veterinary Medical Association.
- ↑ Greco, Deborah (2010). Treating Diabetes Mellitus in Dogs and Cats. Western Veterinary Conference.
- ↑ Williams, Robert (1968). PZI Insulin--More Protamine Than NPH/Isophane Insulin-Textbook of Endocrinology, 4th edition. W.B. Saunders.
- ↑ Proteolytic Enzymes. Wikipedia.
- ↑ PZI Vet Package Insert. IDEXX.
- ↑ DeRuiter, Jack. Excess Protamine in Protamine Zinc Insulin Formula. Auburn University.
- ↑ Harrower AD, Duncan LJ, Clarke BF. (1975). Comparison of Injection Techniques for Soluble and Protamine Zinc Insulins in Diabetes Mellitus. Practitioner.
- ↑ Protamine Zinc Insulin (PZI) Binds to Soluble Insulin in Same Syringe. NHS.
- ↑ Petsulin Protamine Zinc Page 5 Incompatibilities. Dechra.
- ↑ Inject Protamine Zinc Insulin Separately-Excess Protamine. Merck Manual.
- ↑ ProZinc-not studied in dogs-ProZinc FAQ's. Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health.
- ↑ IDEXX sells PZI Vet to BI. DVM 360 (2008).
- ↑ Doctors Foster & Smith Website.